Thursday, October 15, 2009

Gimme Tha Cash!!!


Heres a couple of my favourite neglected Melbourne structures.


This place is just cool looking, nice old shop front, cool old signage and a location that people are hunting relentlessly. In its present state, if you know where it is, youll understand the irony of the business that resides directly next door. My brother clued me in to this one originally, as he too shares my sentiment for rad old buildings and artwork. However upon closer inspection this place can probably look forward to little more than a wrecking ball because the brickwork appears to be coming apart and has had to be braced.....i remain optimistic.




Ah, the Union Knitting Mills, i have my eye on you! This one first came to my attention when i was living at my brothers house and had to catch the train straight past this place whenever i had to head into the city. Great location and a cool as hell building, just look at that old school signage that has actually been built into the building! However when i went to check this one out i was bummed to find that the developer greed had kicked in, the owner has ripped up the floor boards and ceiling, i assume that this was an attempt to ensure that squatters wouldnt move in. The third photo illustrates the lack of flooring, the photo sucks due to the metal mesh over the window but i think you get the idea.

This place would be high on my wish list if someone hit me with some serious cash and said, 'here you go son, blow it all on an art project'. I seriously considered squatting this place, but then i realised that i have no idea about squatting and the last thing i need right now is getting busted and run up on charges thanks to an overzealous land owner. However again ill put it out there, if the owner catches wind of this blog, i am keen to take it off your hands rent free in an 'as is' state.

Well kids, its late and i dont have internet at home so im still at school and if i dont leave now ill probably miss the last train home and have to walk. My next post will outline my ideas behind these buildings...ill keep ya posted! (groan)

No comments:

Post a Comment