Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Shit I'm Diggin'


I'm not into making this thing super professional, so just let it evolve and enjoy the cussin'!

Lonsdale House baby! I have not lived in Melbourne long, i only just got off my brothers lounge and moved into a room of my own on Thursday, but i have visited before and one of my first Melbourne memories is of Lonsdale House. I Cruised on down to Melbourne somewhere between the late nineties and early two-thousands (is there a better term for this? and dont say naughties because it is lame and annoys me) and crashed in a hostel right near the Queen Vic markets, where i also got sick due to the cold weather and the fact that they wouldnt allow me to use my sleeping bag but would only provide a single thin blanket (yeah i get sidetracked often). 

I knew very little about Melbourne and pretty much wandered aimlessly for the week or two that i was here. During one of my aimless meanderings i came across a super sweet little skate shop that just happened to be situated in a killer sweet art deco inner city building complete with metropolis-esque fins adorning the exterior. So dope was this skate shop that they had a back room with a mini ramp that you could get amongst.

Running down the side of the building in the laneway was a series of little shops which included cafes, retro clothing stores and a sweet little art store that sold some street art influenced art work and graffiti related books as well as supplies. Add to this the street art adorning the length of the laneway, i thought this was a pretty sweet little pocket that represented the unique nature of Melbourne's culture and history. Clearly this is what everyone was talking about when they referenced melbourne.

The unique nature of the facade and the side by side old school laneway shop fronts brought to mind the essence of a city like new york with its old corner store bodegas or the portobello road shopfronts typical of London.  

No comments:

Post a Comment